Get Directions
Lincolnwood IL

Lincolnwood, IL

Lincolnwood (formerly Tessville) is a village in Cook County, Illinois, United States. The population was 12,359 at the 2000 census.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the village has a total area of 2.7 square miles (7.0 km²), all land; however, the North Shore Sanitation Canal lies on its eastern border.
The history of Lincolnwood is described by the Encyclopedia of Chicago as follows: "Cook County, 10 miles (16 km) NW of the Loop. Lincolnwood is an ethnically diverse, two-and-a-half-square-mile suburb. Potawatomi originally settled the wooded area, but vacated the land after the Indian Boundary Treaty of 1816. Rural development proceeded slowly on treacherous plank roads along present-day Milwaukee and Lincoln Avenues. Johann Tess, for whom the village was originally named, and his family came from Germany in 1856, purchasing 30 acres (120,000 m2) of barren land in the area. Population slowly increased, and the first commercial establishment, the Halfway House Saloon, was established in 1873.